At that time, the city was divided into 6 districts, each of which was led by a Burgermeister (mayor), who were each under the orders of the bishop’s representative. Thus, in the old bylaws of the city of 1364 and 1562, a large part is dedicated to the organisation of the vine and wine trades, and above all to the sale of the wine which was, and remains, Local economy. Among this community there were also coopers who were an important corporation. In addition to making the barrels, they assisted the winemakers with the winemaking process. When a buyer arrived from outside with his horses and carriage, the cooper used to ring the bell so that the winegrowers would return from the vines. Alongside the wine brokers, the winegrowers made the most of the situation and took this opportunity to tell the legend of the village, according to which a bear would have found the first grapes in the neighbouring forest. On this occasion, vine began to be planted and the bear became Dambach-la-Ville’s symbol.
Watch this video to learn more about the history of its men and granite wines :